Michele Ashby shares some quick tips that can make a difference in your next painting.
- Turn your substrate around if you’re struggling – sometimes a different viewpoint can make you see better and understand more
- Don’t try and paint every strand of hair
- Sometimes less is more
- Try holding your pastel loosely twisting and turning it between your first two fingers
- Adjust your pressure
- Adjust your hand and forearm positions for different mark-making
- When you think you’ve finished with hair – you won’t be. There’s always those lovely fine wisps going in different angles that will make a portrait sing!
- Look for those areas where you can add extra boldness of colour
- Think about bringing in your background color too